PRN Behavioral Health & Psych RN - Adults
Kansas City, Kansas
Job ID: R-20015
Our nurses are leaders and decision makers, working closely with physicians to provide the best care and most advanced treatments. On our team, you’ll work in an environment of respect and professionalism, and you’ll have the support to advance your nursing career in the direction you choose. Find out more about the wide variety of opportunities for nurses at The University of Kansas Health System.
The Behavioral Health and Psychiatric RN ensures that all clinical care is delivered in a manner that meets or exceeds goals and expectations for clinical outcomes, quality assurance standards, and patient satisfaction. The RN gauges the behavioral health patients’ psychiatric state, collaborates with a multi-disciplinary team to support each patients’ care plan, monitors adherence to all treatments, administers psychotropic and other mediations, has strong de-escalation skills, maintains patient safety during restraint, hold or seclusion events, conducts education, and helps prepare the patient and family for a safe discharge and therapeutic continuum of care.
- Provides thorough, timely and accurate documentation of all pertinent data, therapeutic interventions and patient responses including assessment, care plan, patient goals and interventions according to established standards for the care of the behavioral health care patient.
·Coordinate daily behavioral health plan of care.
·Evaluating and implementing for comfort and well-being of the patients’ s medical, social, and emotional needs in the behavioral health setting.
·Provides patient and family education regarding behavioral, psychiatric, and medical needs from time of entry into the health care setting to disposition to next continuum of care.
·Safely administers medication in accordance with provider orders, protocols, and policies and monitoring effectiveness with a strong knowledge of the psychotropic drug class.
·Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team regarding care and disposition specific to the patient’s behavioral, psychiatric, and medical needs.
·Delegates tasks as appropriate to Behavioral Health Technicians and other members of the behavioral, psychiatric, and medical health care teams.
·Maintains a safe behavioral health environment.
·Maintain a safe behavioral health milieu.
·Provide direct therapeutic interaction and participation with behavioral health patients and their families.
·Provides patient care based on standards of practice, procedures, and policies of the health system.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- ADN prepared nurses hired after February 24, 2017; must complete BSN within five years of hire
- Certified in behavior management techniques
- RN License in state of practice
- CPR certification
- Knowledge and understanding of physician desk reference guide
- Computer literate and proficient in various computer programs
- Knowledge of accreditation standards
As a condition of your employment and continued employment with the health system, you are required to secure a Nurse Compact License (NCL) within 60 days of your date of hire. This will enable you to perform your job duties not only in Kansas, but other compact states. You will be responsible for any expenses you incur in securing this license, and must provide your manager with evidence of this license before the sixty-day period expires. If you fail to secure the NCL as required, you will be immediately removed from the work schedule and placed on an unpaid administrative leave, until we can understand the reasons for your non-compliance. Further failure to comply with the licensing requirement will result in your end of employment with the health system.
- BSN degree
- One to three years of relevant experience
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
COVID-19 and flu vaccines are required for all health system employees. Learn more.
The main reason I love coming to work is because of the amazing team. We promote a nursing culture that encourages kindness and teamwork, and I absolutely love that about our hospital.– Riley Ferree, RN
Our robust medical, dental and vision package allows you to choose options that are best for your family. We offer life, disability, and accident insurance plus voluntary offerings such as critical illness insurance and identity theft protection.
In addition to the quality healthcare we provide, we have opportunities to serve externally in our community in activities throughout the year.
At the health system, we are a team. If you are highly skilled and motivated but don’t want to work in an “everyone for themselves” culture like many academic institutions have, this is your place.
Support and Resources
We have a comprehensive wellness program with resources to support your physical, mental, and emotional health. Our new Employee Assistance Program (EAP) includes free counseling sessions and legal advice options.
We offer tuition reimbursement for formal education credits.
We offer a retirement savings plan with an employer contribute.
What makes a successful Nurse at The University of Kansas Health System? Review the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right combination.
- Acccountable to Team
- Takes Initiative
- Possesses Integrity
- Desire to Grow & Develop
- Work with a team that supports you, in a place where you will feel you belong and will make a difference. We empower staff to put the patient first in all things – even beyond clinical care. We value people.
- Driven to serve: Every employee makes an impact, regardless of your role – no matter if you’re in scheduling, facilities or clinical staff. We know that each step of the process ultimately impacts the patient.
- Our leadership is approachable, open-minded, and adaptable to challenges in healthcare.
- We demonstrate values proudly and consistently. Values such as diversity and inclusion are important to our staff; there is a desire to see this reflected by the health system internally and externally.
- Even though we are a large organization, our employees feel the health system’s resources, culture and commitment to quality allow them to provide exceptional care for patients.
- Our health system welcomes patients and cases that other hospitals cannot. This represents our commitment to care and our passion to challenge ourselves and be the best.
- We are a true healthcare leader in the region, rooted in experience and excellence.
- We offer unique opportunities for professional development, as well as convenient pathways for onsite continuing education among healthcare professionals and staff – from GED to CEUs.
- We make a difference in our communities by improving the health and lives of our patients.
- We also support our communities through Health System Employees Reaching Out events.
- Cardiology Rounding Nurse - Part-Time (30 hrs/week) Kansas City, Kansas
- RN-Operating Room (CVOR) - Full-Time, Days Kansas City, Kansas
- AMBULATORY CLINIC RN - Neurology Kansas City, Kansas
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
Additional Clinical Opportunities
Residency and Fellowship Programs Non-Nursing
Business & Professional
Nursing Acute Care - Kansas City
Emergency - Great Bend
Graduate Nurses/ Residency
Maternal and Child Services Division - Kansas City
Maternal and Child Services Division - Great Bend
Pathways to Nursing
Perioperative and Procedural Services - Kansas City
Perioperative and Procedural Services – Great Bend
Advanced Practice Professionals - Great Bend
Ambulatory & Outpatient - Kansas City
Ambulatory & Outpatient
Physicians & Faculty
Mission & Values
Diversity & Inclusion
Our Hiring Process
Advanced Practice Professionals
Toby's Take: Caring for the Caregivers
A look into the life of an ER Nurse
Our Hiring ProcessLearn More