Unit Educator/RN- Unit 41 Medical Telemetry (Full-time)
Kansas City, Kansas
Job ID: R-20712
Our nurses are leaders and decision makers, working closely with physicians to provide the best care and most advanced treatments. On our team, you’ll work in an environment of respect and professionalism, and you’ll have the support to advance your nursing career in the direction you choose. Find out more about the wide variety of opportunities for nurses at The University of Kansas Health System.
The Unit Educator is a unit leader and clinical nurse who collaborates with the health care team to ensure safe, effective, evidence-based and quality patient care. Supports the provision of patient care by working with the Nurse Manager(s) and Unit Coordinator(s) to provide strategies for floor coverage when needs arise. This 20-bed unit provides specialized care to patients who have a wide variety of complex medical conditions such as heart failure, renal failure, liver failure, respiratory complications, GI bleeds, sepsis, and other diagnoses that may require continuous cardiac monitoring. Our close-knit unit values teamwork and focuses on providing our patients with the highest quality care. Our nurses are part of a multidisciplinary team, developing expertise to care for our diverse patient population.
- Collaborates with the health care team to ensure safe, effective, evidence-based and quality patient care.
- Supports the provision of patient care by working with the Nurse Manager(s) and Unit Coordinator(s) to provide strategies for floor coverage when needs arise.
- Actively mentors all staff (including weekend and night staff) in ongoing development of clinical competencies and professional behaviors and communication.
- Assesses unit and individual learning needs, considering generational and cultural differences.
- Implements alternative and varied teaching strategies to meet learner needs.
- Assures that processes are in place for documentation of orientation and other educational activities, and that employee files meet hospital and regulatory requirements.
- Facilitates ongoing unit education and professionalism through the provision of in-services and CEU opportunities, promoting national certification, and providing resources and support for the development of professional portfolios.
- Models evidence-based practice and participates in the development and review of policies and procedures.
- Organizes new employee orientation on unit by scheduling preceptors and times, intermittent follow-up, and providing oversight of orientation and competency of unit staff.
- Supports performance improvement initiatives and educates and facilitates performance improvement methodologies such as PDCA and small tests of change.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- BLS Certification
- Registered Nurse in the State of Kansas
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Nursing
- Basic Cardiac Life Support - BLS or BCLS - American Heart Association
- LRN - RN Licensed Registered Nurse - State Nursing Board
As a condition of your employment and continued employment with the health system, you are required to secure a Nurse Compact License (NCL) within 60 days of your date of hire. This will enable you to perform your job duties not only in Kansas, but other compact states. You will be responsible for any expenses you incur in securing this license, and must provide your manager with evidence of this license before the sixty-day period expires. If you fail to secure the NCL as required, you will be immediately removed from the work schedule and placed on an unpaid administrative leave, until we can understand the reasons for your non-compliance. Further failure to comply with the licensing requirement will result in your end of employment with the health system.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
COVID-19 and flu vaccines are required for all health system employees. Learn more.
- Medical Assistant - Family Medicine - Prairie Village Prairie Village, Kansas
The main reason I love coming to work is because of the amazing team. We promote a nursing culture that encourages kindness and teamwork, and I absolutely love that about our hospital.– Riley Ferree, RN
Our robust medical, dental and vision package allows you to choose options that are best for your family. We offer life, disability, and accident insurance plus voluntary offerings such as critical illness insurance and identity theft protection.
In addition to the quality healthcare we provide, we have opportunities to serve externally in our community in activities throughout the year.
At the health system, we are a team. If you are highly skilled and motivated but don’t want to work in an “everyone for themselves” culture like many academic institutions have, this is your place.
Support and Resources
We have a comprehensive wellness program with resources to support your physical, mental, and emotional health. Our new Employee Assistance Program (EAP) includes free counseling sessions and legal advice options.
We offer tuition reimbursement for formal education credits.
We offer a retirement savings plan with an employer contribute.
What makes a successful Nurse at The University of Kansas Health System? Review the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right combination.
- Acccountable to Team
- Takes Initiative
- Possesses Integrity
- Desire to Grow & Develop
- Work with a team that supports you, in a place where you will feel you belong and will make a difference. We empower staff to put the patient first in all things – even beyond clinical care. We value people.
- Driven to serve: Every employee makes an impact, regardless of your role – no matter if you’re in scheduling, facilities or clinical staff. We know that each step of the process ultimately impacts the patient.
- Our leadership is approachable, open-minded, and adaptable to challenges in healthcare.
- We demonstrate values proudly and consistently. Values such as diversity and inclusion are important to our staff; there is a desire to see this reflected by the health system internally and externally.
- Even though we are a large organization, our employees feel the health system’s resources, culture and commitment to quality allow them to provide exceptional care for patients.
- Our health system welcomes patients and cases that other hospitals cannot. This represents our commitment to care and our passion to challenge ourselves and be the best.
- We are a true healthcare leader in the region, rooted in experience and excellence.
- We offer unique opportunities for professional development, as well as convenient pathways for onsite continuing education among healthcare professionals and staff – from GED to CEUs.
- We make a difference in our communities by improving the health and lives of our patients.
- We also support our communities through Health System Employees Reaching Out events.
R-18700 Nurse Manager
- *Interventional Radiology Nurse (RN) Kansas City, Kansas
- PRN Ambulatory Nurse Kansas City, Kansas
- Unit Educator/RN- Surgical Intensive Care Unit (Full-time) Kansas City, Kansas
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
Additional Clinical Opportunities
Residency and Fellowship Programs Non-Nursing
Business & Professional
Nursing Acute Care - Kansas City
Emergency - Great Bend
Graduate Nurses/ Residency
Maternal and Child Services Division - Kansas City
Maternal and Child Services Division - Great Bend
Pathways to Nursing
PPS - Kansas City
Perioperative and Procedural Services – Great Bend
Ambulatory & Outpatient - Kansas City
Ambulatory & Outpatient
Physicians & Faculty
Mission & Values
Diversity & Inclusion
Advanced Practice Professionals