Nurse Supervisor- Occupational/Employee Health
Kansas City, Kansas
Job ID: R-30265
Our nurses are leaders and decision makers, working closely with physicians to provide the best care and most advanced treatments. On our team, you’ll work in an environment of respect and professionalism, and you’ll have the support to advance your nursing career in the direction you choose. Find out more about the wide variety of opportunities for nurses at The University of Kansas Health System.
Under the supervision of the Ambulatory Clinic Manager or Practice Manager, the Ambulatory Clinic Nurse Supervisor assists/supports the clinic administratively and clinically. He/she assists in supervisory planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and controlling activities. He/she assumes responsibility for patient flow, triage and provides direct patient care. Is responsible for efficient day to day operations of the clinic and optimum use of resources to maximize productivity. Fosters an environment of collaboration and respect with physician colleagues, nurses and other healthcare team members.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department
- Maintains current knowledge of and ensures compliance with all regulatory and professional standards of care
- Operational Performance – Assists the Ambulatory Clinic Manager in daily clinical and operational aspects of the clinic including staff scheduling and monitoring of provider clinic schedules to ensure effective resource management and quality improvement through monitoring of clinic key performance indicators.
- Collaborates with the Ambulatory Clinic Manager, Senior Administrator/Director, and Physician leadership to establish patient care standards and evaluates staff compliance. Serves as a mentor for excellence in clinical practice and patient and employee satisfaction.
- Maintains a safe and caring environment for patients that is conducive to positive health teaching and maintenance, meeting patient and family expectations for care while implementing mechanisms to ensure culturally specific care. Responds to patient and family concerns or complaints with sensitivity and compassion in a timely fashion.
- Uses findings from patient and staff satisfaction surveys, complaints, and patient safety events/root cause analysis to plan and improve patient care using active mentoring and performance management strategies including MDI (monitoring daily improvement) boards.
- Assists with hiring, education and performance evaluation of the staff. Works with the Clinic Nurse Manager/Practice Manager and Human Resources in performance management counseling and discipline of staff.
- Creates and maintains a supportive work environment for the entire team. Creates and maintains an atmosphere of respect and courtesy toward patients, staff and colleagues.
- Makes recommendations and provides opportunities for growth and development of personnel and arranges for appropriate education and training of staff.
- Maintains clinical relevance, demonstrating self-development by keeping current on a variety of clinical, management and health care topics.
- Promotes a level of professionalism in clinic, both in culture and appearance. Motivates academic pursuit and continuing education on the part of the staff by establishing and meeting service based certification goals.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and/or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- RN license
- BLS Certification or obtained within 14 days of hire.
- 2 years of RN experience and 1 year of Ambulatory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have current active multistate state Register Nurse (RN) license in good standing in state in which you live OR active single state RN license in good standing in the state you will be working with proof of application of a multistate RN license in the state in which you live.
- Staff hired prior to 2/1/2024 are required to obtain a multistate state RN license from the state in which they live at the time of their next RN license renewal by 3/31/2026.
- Master’s of Science in Nursing
- Previous RN experience in specialty and supervisory experience
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
The main reason I love coming to work is because of the amazing team. We promote a nursing culture that encourages kindness and teamwork, and I absolutely love that about our hospital.– Riley Ferree, RN
Our robust medical, dental and vision package allows you to choose options that are best for your family. We offer life, disability, and accident insurance plus voluntary offerings such as critical illness insurance and identity theft protection.
In addition to the quality healthcare we provide, we have opportunities to serve externally in our community in activities throughout the year.
At the health system, we are a team. If you are highly skilled and motivated but don’t want to work in an “everyone for themselves” culture like many academic institutions have, this is your place.
Support and Resources
We have a comprehensive wellness program with resources to support your physical, mental, and emotional health. Our new Employee Assistance Program (EAP) includes free counseling sessions and legal advice options.
We offer tuition reimbursement for formal education credits.
We offer a retirement savings plan with an employer contribute.
What makes a successful Nurse at The University of Kansas Health System? Review the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right combination.
- Acccountable to Team
- Takes Initiative
- Possesses Integrity
- Desire to Grow & Develop
- Work with a team that supports you, in a place where you will feel you belong and will make a difference. We empower staff to put the patient first in all things – even beyond clinical care. We value people.
- Driven to serve: Every employee makes an impact, regardless of your role – no matter if you’re in scheduling, facilities or clinical staff. We know that each step of the process ultimately impacts the patient.
- Our leadership is approachable, open-minded, and adaptable to challenges in healthcare.
- We demonstrate values proudly and consistently. Values such as diversity and inclusion are important to our staff; there is a desire to see this reflected by the health system internally and externally.
- Even though we are a large organization, our employees feel the health system’s resources, culture and commitment to quality allow them to provide exceptional care for patients.
- Our health system welcomes patients and cases that other hospitals cannot. This represents our commitment to care and our passion to challenge ourselves and be the best.
- We are a true healthcare leader in the region, rooted in experience and excellence.
- We offer unique opportunities for professional development, as well as convenient pathways for onsite continuing education among healthcare professionals and staff – from GED to CEUs.
- We make a difference in our communities by improving the health and lives of our patients.
- We also support our communities through Health System Employees Reaching Out events.
- PART-TIME Clinic RN Care Coordinator - Vascular Neurology Kansas City, Kansas
- Interventional Pain Mgmt RN-Procedures Kansas City, Kansas
- Clinical Program Coordinator- Adult Congenital Heart Disease Kansas City, Kansas
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
All About Ambulatory Pharmacy
Additional Clinical Opportunities
Residency and Fellowship Programs Non-Nursing
Business & Professional
Nursing Acute Care - Kansas City
Emergency - Great Bend
Graduate Nurses/ Residency
Maternal and Child Services Division - Kansas City
Maternal and Child Services Division - Great Bend
Pathways to Nursing
Perioperative and Procedural Services - Kansas City
Perioperative and Procedural Services – Great Bend
Advanced Practice Professionals - Great Bend
Ambulatory & Outpatient - Kansas City
Ambulatory & Outpatient
Physicians & Faculty
Mission & Values
Diversity & Inclusion
Our Hiring Process
Advanced Practice Professionals
Toby's Take: Caring for the Caregivers
A look into the life of an ER Nurse
Our Hiring ProcessLearn More