Clinic RN - Urgent Care Clinics (PRN)
Kansas City, Kansas
Job ID: R-26787
Our nurses are leaders and decision makers, working closely with physicians to provide the best care and most advanced treatments. On our team, you’ll work in an environment of respect and professionalism, and you’ll have the support to advance your nursing career in the direction you choose. Find out more about the wide variety of opportunities for nurses at The University of Kansas Health System.
The ambulatory clinic professional registered nurse has the authority, responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of nursing care using the nursing process. The Registered Nurse (RN) accepts accountability, applies competent clinical knowledge and uses independent nursing judgment for care provided by self and by health care providers to who care is delegated to achieve quality patient care outcomes. The RN also must possess the ability to assess and interpret patient data needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs.
- Provides direct patient care within the ambulatory setting, based on the nursing process and within role/scope of practice.
- Preforms preliminary assessment of patients through observation and chart review to facilitate appropriate follow-up with the healthcare team.
- Evaluates unstable or complex patient care situations and facilitates appropriate intervention.
- Implements appropriate clinical decisions and demonstrates appropriate use of expert peers and/or management as applicable.
- Accepts accountability and uses independent nursing judgment for care provided by self and by healthcare providers to who care delegated.
- Demonstrates the appropriate use of standards, effective use of resources and evaluation of patient response in the delivery of patient care.
- Identifies teach/learning needs of patient.
- Responsible for educational instruction to patients and families with health care needs.
- Evaluates effectiveness of patient and family teaching and makes documentation in patient’s charts.
- Responds to/refers incoming patient treatment-related phone calls.
- Completes necessary forms (i.e. FMLA, DME, Home Health orders and obtains physicians signatures as appropriate).
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Associates Degree in Nursing (ADN)
- BLS Certification or obtained within 14 days of hire.
- Registered nurse - licensed in the state in which they will be working and proof of compact licensure submitted/applied for in the state in which the employee lives in
- Basic typing and word processing ability required
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
As a condition of your employment and continued employment with the health system, you are required to secure a Nurse Compact License (NCL) within 60 days of your date of hire. This will enable you to perform your job duties not only in Kansas, but other compact states. You will be responsible for any expenses you incur in securing this license, and must provide your manager with evidence of this license before the sixty-day period expires. If you fail to secure the NCL as required, you will be immediately removed from the work schedule and placed on an unpaid administrative leave, until we can understand the reasons for your non-compliance. Further failure to comply with the licensing requirement will result in your end of employment with the health system.
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN)
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
COVID-19 and flu vaccines are required for all health system employees. Learn more.
The main reason I love coming to work is because of the amazing team. We promote a nursing culture that encourages kindness and teamwork, and I absolutely love that about our hospital.– Riley Ferree, RN
Our robust medical, dental and vision package allows you to choose options that are best for your family. We offer life, disability, and accident insurance plus voluntary offerings such as critical illness insurance and identity theft protection.
In addition to the quality healthcare we provide, we have opportunities to serve externally in our community in activities throughout the year.
At the health system, we are a team. If you are highly skilled and motivated but don’t want to work in an “everyone for themselves” culture like many academic institutions have, this is your place.
Support and Resources
We have a comprehensive wellness program with resources to support your physical, mental, and emotional health. Our new Employee Assistance Program (EAP) includes free counseling sessions and legal advice options.
We offer tuition reimbursement for formal education credits.
We offer a retirement savings plan with an employer contribute.
What makes a successful Nurse at The University of Kansas Health System? Review the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right combination.
- Acccountable to Team
- Takes Initiative
- Possesses Integrity
- Desire to Grow & Develop
- Work with a team that supports you, in a place where you will feel you belong and will make a difference. We empower staff to put the patient first in all things – even beyond clinical care. We value people.
- Driven to serve: Every employee makes an impact, regardless of your role – no matter if you’re in scheduling, facilities or clinical staff. We know that each step of the process ultimately impacts the patient.
- Our leadership is approachable, open-minded, and adaptable to challenges in healthcare.
- We demonstrate values proudly and consistently. Values such as diversity and inclusion are important to our staff; there is a desire to see this reflected by the health system internally and externally.
- Even though we are a large organization, our employees feel the health system’s resources, culture and commitment to quality allow them to provide exceptional care for patients.
- Our health system welcomes patients and cases that other hospitals cannot. This represents our commitment to care and our passion to challenge ourselves and be the best.
- We are a true healthcare leader in the region, rooted in experience and excellence.
- We offer unique opportunities for professional development, as well as convenient pathways for onsite continuing education among healthcare professionals and staff – from GED to CEUs.
- We make a difference in our communities by improving the health and lives of our patients.
- We also support our communities through Health System Employees Reaching Out events.
- RN Acute/Progressive Care Kansas City, Kansas
- Pre/Post RN (Perioperative Nurse) - full time Kansas City, Kansas
- Perioperative RN (Pre/Post) - full time Kansas City, Kansas
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
You don't have any recently viewed jobs yet. You don't have any saved jobs yet.
All About Ambulatory Pharmacy
Additional Clinical Opportunities
Residency and Fellowship Programs Non-Nursing
Business & Professional
Nursing Acute Care - Kansas City
Emergency - Great Bend
Graduate Nurses/ Residency
Maternal and Child Services Division - Kansas City
Maternal and Child Services Division - Great Bend
Pathways to Nursing
Perioperative and Procedural Services - Kansas City
Perioperative and Procedural Services – Great Bend
Advanced Practice Professionals - Great Bend
Ambulatory & Outpatient - Kansas City
Ambulatory & Outpatient
Physicians & Faculty
Mission & Values
Diversity & Inclusion
Our Hiring Process
Advanced Practice Professionals
Toby's Take: Caring for the Caregivers
A look into the life of an ER Nurse
Our Hiring ProcessLearn More